Help find the world's ambitious outsiders
Pioneer is a home for founders on day 0.
We believe there are thousands (maybe millions!) of potentially great founders around the world who don't have the resources or opportunities to take the leap to start companies. We scour the Internet to find those people, bring them into our community of founders, help them incorporate, fund them, put them through a 2-month accelerator program, introduce them to experts in their field, and much more.
In our 3 years since launching, we've funded 200+ founders from 50+ countries. Our Pioneers have gone on to raise from Sequoia, a16z, Y Combinator, Khosla Ventures, General Catalyst, Village Global, and many more VCs & angels.
We're a small team of 6 who are optimistic we can find brilliance in places the world has overlooked.
Pioneer isn't just an accelerator—it's a generator. We want to motivate people to become the best versions of themselves, to take their crazy ideas more seriously, and to make betting on themselves less daunting. If we do what we've set out to, we'll not just fund successful startups that might not have otherwise worked out—we'll fund ones that wouldn't have existed at all.
We're constantly asking ourselves:
- How do you reach ambitious outsiders who aren't in any mainstream communities?
- How do you motivate people to take the leap to work on their own projects, and keep making progress?
- How do you correctly identify impressive progress at scale?
- What can we do to make our Pioneers as successful as possible?
If these problems sound interesting to you, reach out: email@example.com.
We value autonomy over consensus, speed over correctness, and being different & experimental. If given the choice between a known good and a project that has a small chance of being wildly successful, we'll pick the latter. We're data-driven on our high-level numbers, but trust our instincts. We care more about output than setting rules.
We’re looking for an experienced Data Scientist/MLE to help us find the next 1000 founders we’ll invest in. We’re working on a variety of machine learning problems, including:
- What actionable data can you extract from early websites?
- How do you evaluate how promising a startup is when there’s little data available?
- How do you surface relevant advice & resources to founders at the appropriate times?
You’ll work with a small team of 6 with backgrounds in product, engineering, venture, and data science. You might be a fit if you…
- Are excited to work on a broad range of machine learning problems. You might be focused on computer vision one week, and on a greenfield NLP feature experiment another week.
- Know where your strengths are when building models, and know when to get advice from other experts.
- Thrive working autonomously—you’ll be the first full-time Data Scientist on the team.
- You should be comfortable both making a Jupyter notebook and translating it into a production system. You don’t have to be an expert at deployment; just have a desire to actually ship your insights (versus wait for someone else to help you).
- Have 4+ years of experience with ML/Jupyter/Python (even on your own), including 2+ years of professional experience.
- Have a strong passion for startups (e.g. founded your own company, have worked for 1+ years on a team of 10 or fewer people, etc.).
If you’re interested, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your resume and tell us a bit about why you’re interested in working at Pioneer.
In the short term many of our technical challenges are equal parts computer science and psychology. How do you build a product that can identify talent? How do you then motivate people to become the best version of themselves? How would you build a city on the Internet?
You might be a fit if:
- You have experience building websites or apps end-to-end. If you don’t have corporate experience, we’ll be looking to see some other form of work (for example, lots of Github projects).
- You can build products end-to-end and manage your own schedule.
- You have good instincts around what makes a compelling user experience.
- You excel in analytics and problem solving.
- Bonus: you have experience in data science or machine learning.
If interested, email email@example.com with your resume and a short description of why you want to work at Pioneer.